What do Marketers look for when putting their business out to pitch? What drives brand leaders to engage in conversation? What does stand-out look like? What makes a great partnership?
Lively debate this week from marketing business leaders on what makes for impactful agency marketing and even better client/agency partnerships during Oystercatchers’ 2016 Awards judging – designed to reward and recognise agencies for outstanding achievement in new business and client relationships.
With criteria set afresh each year to reflect contemporary culture, we uncovered two over-arching themes: commercial impact [“visitors and likes are meaningless unless they have proven business impact”]; and, the need for humanity in a data-driven world [“we are not algorithms – we are people”; “humanise content – I engage as a consumer first, Marketer second”].
The twenty strong client jury, led by Suki Thompson, Peter Cowie, Richard Robinson, Vladimir Komanicky, Harry Meakin and Victoria Sinclair, broke into four groups to judge four categories, “Best Client/Agency Partnership”; “Best Agency Marketing”; “Best Agency Film” and “Best Agency RFI”.
Fundamentals marketers look for [in no particular order]:
Be clear about your offer
Ingenuity really does matter
Be a catalyst, an innovator, challenge assumption
Be simple, succinct, and, stand-out
Exude commitment and advocacy at all levels
Lead with agility
Put tech in the right place
Demonstrate commercial impact
Keep your own identity when case studying partnerships
A big thank you from all of us to all our jurors:
- Adrian Lawlor: Marketing & Business Development Director, Kepak Convenience Foods
- Adrienne Liebenberg: Global Marketing Director, BP Castrol
- Ben Crowther: Global Brand Director, Intercontinental Hotels Group
- Karl Gregory: Managing Director Northern Europe & European Director, Match.com
- Keith Moor: Chief Marketing Officer, Santander
- Mark Evans: Marketing Director, Direct Line
- Martin Moll: General Manager Marketing Communications, Nissan
- Rob Merrington: Head of Marketing Communications, EDF Energy
- Paul Davies: Chief Marketing Officer, Microsoft
- Robbie Millar: Global Brand Director: Innovation & Brand Propositions, SABMiller
- Emily Somers: Vice President Marketing& Food Development, McDonald’s UK
- Sinead Bunting: European Director of Consumer Marketing, Monster
- John Norton: Head of Retail Trading, The Royal British Legion
- John Rudaizky: Partner, Global Brand & External Communications Leader, EY
- Yvonne Adam: Marketing Director, Youngs Seafood
- Jason King: Marketing Director, RBS
- Andrew Kirkcaldy: Group Brand Director, AO.com
- Matthew Williams: Marketing Activation Director, UK&I Chocolate, Mondelez International
- Rob Lawrence: Strategic/Creative Director, Bowers & Wilkins
- Katie Prentke: Commercial Director, Nutmeg
Coming soon: watch client judges give their perspectives on why they engage at pitch time…
Awards night takes place on at our Club evening on 22nd November at the May Fair Hotel – when winners will be revealed.